Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Advent is Coming to a Close

and we joyfully anticipate the Christmas season.

Jesus Christ, who is God manifest in the flesh, is born. We all know the story of the baby in the manger, peace, joy, good will to men. We sing the Christmas Carols, give presents, go to Christmas programs and, hopefully, Christmas Festival Services.

But do we consider ...

The God of all creation humbled himself to be born into the world. A cute and beautiful baby? Of course, but that baby is God! And He came to us in human form so that He could redeem us! He came to us as a baby so that He could become our righteousness, for we have none without Him. He came to us in human form to die for us on the Holy Cross, so that miserable sinners that we are, can be saved from death and the power of Satan. He died for us that we might live and reign with him in everlasting righteousness in heaven.

That is Christmas, the Feast of the Nativity of Our Lord. The Christmas Tree also contains His cross. For without it, we are lost.

The Christmas Season begins for us on the evening of December 24, and continues for the 12 days which culminate in the Epiphany of Our Lord.

Our next great festival? Easter, the Feast of the Resurrection of Our Lord. The Christmas season begins with the birth of God our Savior. We continue to follow the story of our Lord through Epiphany, the season of Lent, follow His footsteps to the Cross on Good Friday, and glory in His bodily resurrection on Easter Sunday.

Spare me the Jingle Bells, Frosty the Snow Man, and the Little Drummer Boy. Don't belittle Christmas with vanilla sayings such as Happy Holidays. I don't need Christmas presents either (of course, I want them, I'm a sinner). I need Jesus. I need His righteousness. I need His mercy. I need His forgiveness.

And most importantly, I want Him to return soon to take me to everlasting bliss.

Even so, Come, Lord Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment